Flight as the Animated Image:
Whitehead, Latour and Aviation
Myshkin Oleg Stepanovich
Ph.D. Student of the Department of Philosophy and Law
Perm National Research Polytechnical University,
29, Komsomolsky av., Perm, 614990, Russia;
The article represents an attempt to describe the event of flight from the standpoint of such ontological conceptions as Philosophy of Process, Actor-Network Theory, Deleuze’s Philosophy of the Event. Ancient dream of flying awakes and achieves rise in functioning of modern civil aviation. This sphere of production becomes so interesting for philosophy of technology because it represents work of the great number of actors (machinery, human beings and such unexpected things as volcanoes, viruses and magnetic fields) in one event. But the progress of technology is connected with the number of potential risks. And the first of them is abasement of human’s role in technological management, that produces the fear of technology. Work-net of modern technologies, as many philosophers claim, inhibits every manifestation of human’s free will and transforms autonomous human into the slave of technology. Philosophy can not save us from this fear, but it helps us to understand mechanics of functioning productive machinery and, may be, to discover the gap of freedom in a dense network of technology.
Keywords: event, aviation, modern ontology, ANT, concept, production.
- Beresneva N.I., Beresnev V.D. [Text as a demiurge of subjectivity in Philosophy and Literature of XX–XXI centuries]. Vestnik Kostromskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta im. N.A. Nekrasova [Vestnik of Nekrasov Kostroma State University]. 2011, vol. 17, no. 1, рр. 265–270. (In Russian).
- Shaviro S. Without Criteria: Kant, Whitehead, Deleuze and Aesthetics. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press; London, 2009, 190 p. (In English).
- Whitehead A.N. Izbrannye raboty po filosofii [Selected Works on Philosophy]. Moscow, Progress Publ., 1990, 718 p. (In Russian).
- Robinson K. Deleuze, Whitehead and the Reversal of Platonism. Deleuze, Whitehead, Bergson. Rhizomatic Connections / ed. by K. Robinson. University of South Dakota, 2009. pp. 128–144. DOI: 10.1057/9780230280731 (In English).
- Deleuze G. Skladka. Leybnits i barokko [The Fold. Leibnitz and the Baroque]. Moscow, Logos Publ., 1993, 264 p. (In Russian).
- Latour B. Novogo Vremeni ne bylo. Esse po simmetrichnoy antropologii [We have never been modern. Essay on symmetric anthropology]. Saint Petersburg, EUSP Press Publ., 240 p. (In Russian).
The date of the manuscript receipt 03.12.2016
Please cite this article in English as:
Myshkin O.S. Flight as the animated image: Whitehead, Latour and aviation// Perm University Herald. Series «Philosophy. Psychology. Sociology». 2017. Iss. 1. P.35–42. DOI: 10.17072/2078-7898/2017-1-35-42