RUSSIAN AND UKRAINIAN STUDENTS’ IDEAS OF THEIR FUTURE
Plyushch Aleksander Nikolaevich
Ph.D. in Psychology, Senior Researcher
Institute of Social and Political Psychology of NAPS of Ukraine,
15, Andreevskaya str., Kiev, 04070, Ukraine;
Kirilina Tatyana Yur’evna
Doctor of Sociology, Docent,
Head of the Department of Humanitaries and Social Disciplines
University of Technology (MSRTU),
42, Gagarin str., Korolev, Moscow region, 141070, Russia;
Petrunko Olga Vladimirovna
Doctor of Psychology, Docent,
Senior Researcher, Professor of the Department of Practical Psychology
Borys Grinchenko Kyiv University,
18/2, Bulvarno-Kudtyavskaya str., Kiev, 04053, Ukraine;
The article analyzes peculiarities of constructing ideas of the future by individual subjects of society. Ideas of the future are regarded as a design of these subjects’ discourse. Discourse is a model of the world which includes the unclear image of the subject himself/herself and schemes of his/her behavior in some kind of social context according to their goals. Correspondingly, a design contains the image of the discourse’s author, supposed areas of his/her self-fulfillment and goals of his/her life activities. Construction of future images means understanding by the subject of his/her «I», of the area(s) of self-fulfillment, and also accordance of the present goals, both those organizing life activities and those targeted. It has been revealed that construction of future images is a process of the existing structure differentiation and its integration at the new level of complexity. The results of interviews with Russian (n = 148) and Ukrainian (n = 136) students doing a course in the humanities present cross sections of the consequent stages of this process. Different groups of students are on the different stages of construction of the sustainable structure of their future images, which corresponds to the stage of their life path. It is shown that organization of future images and peculiarities of their (re)construction among Russian and Ukrainian students doing course in the humanities differ insignificantly. Significant differences were only revealed in the evaluation of possibilities for the full self-fulfillment in their own country, which was shown by a number of students who declared intentions to emigrate. If the image of the country in the semantic space was located far from the expected image of the future country, the number of subjects who had no intention to connect their future with this country increased.
The authors conclude that construction of new ideas of the future, reconstruction of the existing ideas of the future and their integration into a single model occur simultaneously with the expansion of the range of the subjects’ identifications, emergence of new social practices and new areas for their application, increasing complexity of the discourse organization.
Keywords: ideas of future, discourse, design, subject, areas of self-fulfillment, goals, differentiation, integration.
- Luhmann N. Obschestvo kak sotsial’naya sistema [Social Systems]. Moscow, Logos Publ., 2004, 232 p. (In Russian).
- Habermas J. Filosofskiy diskurs o moderne [The Philosophical Discourse of Modernity]. Moscow, Ves’ Mir Publ., 2003, 416 p. (In Russian).
- Fresco J. Proektirovanie buduschego [Designing the Future]. Available at: http://www.tvpactivism.ru/files/Proektirovanie_buduschego_Jacque_Fresco.pdf (accessed 22.07.2016). (In Russian).
- Malinetskiy G.G. Ne poteryat’ buduschee — sokhranit’ Rossiyu [Not to Lose the Future — to Save Russia]. Available at: http://worldcrisis.ru/crisis/2113306 (accessed 22.07.2016). (In Russian).
- Dijk T.A. van. Yazyk. Poznanie. Kommunikatsiya [Language, Cognition. Communication]. Moscow, Vysshaya Shkola Publ., 1989, 312
- Foucault M. Volya k istine: po tu storonu znaniya, vlasti i seksual’nosti. Raboty raznykh let [The History of Sexuality. The Will to Knowledge. Works of Different Years]. Moscow, Kastal Publ, 1996, 448 p. (In Russian).
- Yakoba I.A. «Myagkaya sila» v sovremennoy politike i diskursivnoy tekhnologii [«Soft Power» in Modern Politics and Discursive Technology]. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya [Sociological Studies]. 2014, no. 12, pp. 65–73. (In Russian).
- Chudova I.A. Postmodernizm i sotsiologicheskaya teoriya [Postmodernism and Sociological Theory]. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya [Sociological Studies]. 2015, no. 5, pp. 33–41. (In Russian).
- Giddens A. Ustroenie obschestva: ocherk teorii strukturatsii [The Constitution of Society: Outline of the Theory of Structuration]. Moscow, Akadem. Proekt Publ., 2003, 525 p. (In Russian).
- Voronova V.I., Lozhkin G.V., Plyusch A.N. Transformatsiya struktury identichnosti studentov-sportsmenov [Transformation of the Identity Structure of Student Athletes]. Zhurnal praktikuyuschego psikhologa [Journal of the Practicing Psychologist], 1998, iss. 4, pp. 108–116. (In Russian).
- Plyusch A.N., Basmanova N.I., Lisnevskaya A.A. Svyaz’ subektivnoy kartiny mira s emigratsionnymi namereniyami [Connection Between the World Picture and Emigrational Intentions]. Voprosy psikhologii [Voprosy Psychologii]. 2014, no. 6, pp. 52–65. (In Russian).
- Leontev D.A. Test smyslozhiznennykh orientatsiy (SZhO) [Purpose-in-Life Test (PIL)]. Moscow, Smysl Publ, 2000, 18 p. (In Russian).
- Toschenko Zh.T. Fantomy rossiyskogo obschestva [Phantoms of the Russian Society]. Moscow, CSFM Publ, 2015, 668 p. (In Russian).
- Martsinkovskaya T.D., Siyuchenko A.S. Identichnost’ kak faktor sotsializatsii v multikulturnoy srede [Identity as a Factor of Socialization in a Multicultural Environment]. Voprosy psikhologii [Voprosy Psychologii]. 2014, no. 6, pp. 3–14.(In Russian).
- Nazaretyan A.P. Nelineynoe buduschee. Megaistoriya, sinergetika, kul’turnaya antropologiya i psikhologiya v global’nom prognozirovanii [Nonlinear Future. Mega-History, Synergetics, Cultural Anthropology and Psychology in Global Forecasting]. Moscow, Argamak-Media Publ., 2015, 512
- Marsia J.E. Identity in Adolescence. Handbook of Adolescent Psychology. Ed. by J. Adelson. New York, John Wiley Publ., 1980. pp. 159–187.(In English).
- Guseltseva M.S. Tipy ratsional’nosti kak osnovanie dlya periodizatsii psikhologicheskogo znaniya [The Types of Rationality as a Basis for Psychological Knowledge Periodization]. Voprosy psikhologii [Voprosy Psychologii]. 2013, no. 4, pp. 3–16.(In Russian).
The date of the manuscript receipt 11.12.2016
Please cite this article in English as:
Plyushch A.N., Kirilina T.Y., Petrunko O.V. Russian and Ukrainian students’ ideas of their future // Perm University Herald. Series «Philosophy. Psychology. Sociology». 2017. Iss. 2. P.294–303. DOI: 10.17072/2078-7898/2017-2-294-303